Monday, November 10, 2008

Katherine Flood (2006)

*Please note: if you click on the photos, you can view them in their true resolution; they're not really that blurry. Right click on the photo and open in a new page, that way you won't have to return to the blog each time.*

The 2006 flood was an exciting time. It's one of those events that makes people act differently. There's the fear of the unknown, the loss of control, the frustration, and the interruption to our normal lives. But there are also the good parts...strangers talk to each other, people donate their time, energy and money to help others, and people bond over their losses and find laughter in the chaos.

Of course, none of this happened to me. I was on high ground. :D

But you know what I mean! We drove around town a lot during the flood and the above was simply what I observed. There was this great atmosphere and although I know it was a pain in the arse for so many (again, not me...we didn't even lose power) I really enjoyed it. Obviously if I had been there for the flood of '98 I might have had a very different outlook!!

I know I can't be alone in this apparent weirdness of mine (Ugol's Law)! Anyway, enjoy my favourite photos of the flood.

Kim




This was the first house we lived in after moving to Katherine.



The Katherine River.





The main street










This isn't a real crocodile, it's the big fake one that sits outside Rod and Rifle.







Michael and Kayla couldn't resist riding into town to check out the damage.















The thermal springs.





This is the top of the steps you walk down to get to the springs. I just couldn't believe the water was this high!











King Brown!



He didn't last long.



The End.

1 comment:

Sturre Family said...

Some great memories there, when are you moving back to the tropics???? :P